Monday, October 12, 2009

My baby is so sick!


Well, after not being himself all week we finally found out what is wrong with Caleb! He has Kawasaki Disease... aka hand foot mouth. It's a virus which goes around daycares which babies get high fevers, blistery rash on the hands, feet and in their mouth and a varitey of other symptoms. Caleb came home from daycare on Thursday with a faint prickly heat type rash on his belly, I didn't think much of it because I thought it was all part of the virus he had and was on his way to getting better. Before getting him in the tub I noticed a few spots on his feet... I secretly knew.. but tried not to panic. Caleb became more and more cranky and the rash kept looking worse. He also continuted to have loose BM's which were becoming more frequent. We had a rough night on Thursday, I had a migraine and did not feel well myself and Caleb kept waking up in pain. Friday morning I took him to the doctor and she took one look and gave us our diagnosis.. Kawasaki! He had a few blisters in the back of his throat which explains why he sometimes doesn't want to eat. Caleb had a rough day on Friday.. he was miserable, his bottom hurt from his diaper rash and he had a fever on and off. I let his bottom air as much as I could on Friday to help the diaper rash...It actually worked.... his rash is much better now. Friday night he slept ok and seemed to be feeling a little better so we decided to stick to our plans to go to the shore to visit my in-laws at LBI. Caleb was ok all weekend, a little cranky at times but he was still pretty much himself. Here are a few photos of our Saturday and Sunday at the shore:








We came home from the shore on Sunday afternoon.. Caleb was sick but acting pretty much like himself. He was eating better, his diarrhea was becoming less frequent.. things were looking hopeful. However, last night was an awful night. Caleb kept getting up every few minutes crying and moaning in pain.. he just couldn't seem to get comfortable. At 3:30 we had had enough getting up so we brought him in bed with us. I got up for work at 5 like I always do, got myself in the shower and all ready to go.. by that time Caleb was awake and pretty cranky. I took him in his room to get him ready for daycare.. and realized this kid has a fever!! YUP sure enough 102.7. He was crying in pain and just wanted to be held. I could not send him to daycare like this.. nor could I get through my day at work knowing I sent my baby to daycare with a high fever and in pain. So we are home today. Caleb is doing ok.. I gave him more motrin and called the doctor to let them know what was going on. He seems ok until the motrin wears off then he is in pain and spikes a fever. The doctor said the rash can be painful and makes him very achey. Poor baby!! Caleb ate his breakfast bottle in record time and fell into a deep sleep, only to be woken a half hour later by diarreha.. poor baby, can't even sleep in peace! Then he was wide awake and so we played a little and then he ate oatmeal.. and now this is him peacefully sleeping in his swing.

We will keep you posted on how he is doing.. the doctor said he will definitely have this the rest of the week. Please pray for a speedy recovery. It breaks my heart to see him so sick. Good news is, Caleb will be going to a home daycare and only has 2 more weeks of daycare. This will hopefully help him get back to his happy healthy self that he was before starting daycare. We are both happy and sad about our decision to pull him out of daycare, we love his teachers and they love him.. but we must do what is best for Caleb. Hopefully we can re-enroll him when he is a little older. But for now, he will be in good hands. He will be with a family friend who took care of my brother, she's been watching children for 23 years. Right now she has no kids younger then school age, so it will be perfect for Caleb. Also, my friend Sarah - a stay at home mom of a 1 yr old little girl - will watch him 2 days a week and as needed. She is very flexible. This will give both ladies a few days off during the week. I'm confident he will be in good hands.

2 comments:

  1. WOW- poor, poor little guy. I'm sure you're just as exhausted as he is! My heart breaks for him -and for you... don't you just feel hopeless when our babies are sick like this? No fun at all... but you're doing a great job, I'm so proud of you. He may feel like crap but atleast he can find comfort when he looks at his Mommy and knows she loves him SO much, right?! Hope he feels better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph! I'm doing the best I can to keep him comfortable. It breaks my heart to know he's in pain and not feeling well. He doesn't deserve to be sick. Good news is.. only 2 more weeks of daycare!! Hopefully he will be healthy then. I can honestly say the last time I remember him happy and healthy was Labor Day weekend when we were camping with my parents at the shore. Those are pretty much the last memories I have of him as his happy healthy self.

    ReplyDelete